Saturday, February 9, 2013

Nonviolent Communication

I believe the two biggest strategies I have learned in my communication with others especially disagreements is to be respectful and receptive to the other person’s differences.  Often times, I have noticed it is not what you say in the disagreement but how you say it with force or not acknowledging the other person’s views.  There is nothing wrong with not agreeing with an individual.  However, how you respond could be a huge factor in being respectful and disrespectful.  Disagreements are often personal biases.  I believe if we were more open to other’s views even when we don’t agree we can still be receptive in trying to understand their opinion or biases.  I know yesterday I asked two of my colleagues their strategies for resolving conflict and they both said compromising and understanding the other person’s reason for their strong opinion.  I believe that the NVC of communication should be a training mandated for educators because it is often the conflicts in ourselves that separate our differences with families. 


 

4 comments:

  1. Michele,

    I need to work through some of the conflicts within myself. I try hard to be respectful when dealing with conflicts. For me the hardest part is giving the conflict to the person that it belongs too. I mean that often I take situations personally and many times it is not my problem but another person's problem. I am working hard to give problems to their owners and focus on helping that person solve their problem.

    Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading your post.

    Luci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele,
    Showing someone else respect is so important when communicating, I agree with you. As Corso pointed out, early educators must be able to acknowledge the validity of diverse perspectives, even if you don't agree with them (2007).

    Corso, r. (2007). practices for enhancing children's social-emotional development and preventing challenging behavior. Gifted Child Today 30(30. 51-56. Retrieved from ProQuest database.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michele,
    Your co-workers offer great advice. Being understanding and be willing to compromise is important in all relationships. The article we read from Robert Corso made a lot of sense to me. When he stated, to develop reciprocal relationships, early care providers must establish interactions that allow for equal voice for all perspectives (Corso, 2007). I thought that was a good point.

    Our jobs are challenging enough, and I know that when I have worked with people who are respectful and receptive it makes our work so much easier and enjoyable!

    I enjoyed your post!!
    Millie

    Corso, R. M. (2007). Practices for enhancing children's social-emotional development and preventing challenging behavior. Gifted Child Today, 30(3), 51–56. Retrieved from http://ezp.waldenulibrary.org/login?url=http://proquest.umi.com.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/pqdweb?did=1303084331&sid=1&Fmt=4&clientId=70192&RQT=309&VName=PQD


    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele,

    I agree with you that it is our goal to be respectful. People may treat and say anything but at the end of the day what counts is how we treated the person. I enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete