Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Adjourning.....


I believe the hardest groups to leave are the ones that we get the most support from and accomplish our goals.  A little over two years ago I graduated from Mount Olive College in which I was a part of the first cohort.  I met 15 women who impacted my life greatly and 1 great friend who has been my support system through it all.  This cohort meant everything to me.  We were like a family, we fought together, we collaborated together, and we let no one come between our successes.  I cannot imagine another time I was a part of a cohesive group that meant so much to me not form a professional stand point but also a very personal one too.  At the end of our long 18 month journey together  we celebrated by going to what we called the” last supper” and gave a small speech in which we told how each individual impacted our lives and then exchange a small gift.  I know that the experience I had at Mount Olive will not be like the one here at Walden as my relationships are not as intimate and I can only see their faces through pictures.  However, I do wish them the same success as my cohort and hope to see them in Washington D.C. changing the views of early childhood and impacting the world.  In the end, adjourning is critical to the stage process as it closes a chapter of accomplishments in one book in order so that you can move forward in opening a new one if you choose.  Reflection is a great achievement. 

6 comments:

  1. Michele,

    It is so hard to leave those that we have grown close to. You are so right about reflecting on our achievements. I think that we also need to reflect on things that we can improve upon so that we can continue on our journey of being life-long learners.

    Luci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele,
    I think that is a great way to celebrate all that you have been through together by breaking bread and exchanging gifts and well wishes. You are right, the bonds we make when we can interact in person are much stronger than the ones we make on-line. And, yes, though the relationships are different there is a feeling that we are helping each other through this journey to achieving our Master's and we want to see everyone reach their goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michele

    I wonder if you ever have reunions with your peers from Mount Olive College? I completed a post-graduate diploma in Behavioral Sciences after having been away from school for many years (small group of 15 ladies that worked together full time for a year), and we still get together annually to catch up on our accomplishments and to share our dreams and aspirations with each other. Sometimes these reunions have also been a forum for us to take the opportunity to make amends for difficulties that we have shared during the year as well (O'Hair & Wiemann, 2012).

    Carolyn

    Reference

    O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Real communication: An introduction. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your recollection of the ideal group. I had a similar experience when I was in a cohort working on my BA. I am still in contact with many of those people. Being a part of a group and accomplishing something can be life changing. This is why it should have a proper closing and ending. The ‘last supper’ idea you shared is a wonderful one. Thinking back I wish we had done something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michele,
    I have admired your spunk and tenacity as you advocate for children. Your cohort sounds as if you were a close knit group. I think you were blessed! I like the "last supper" idea.
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michele,

    What a great post! It was wonderful at the end of the cohort that you all told each other how you have made a positive impact on each other lives. I also feel that brings a small gift showed them that you really appreciated what you all did for each other. I know that there was not a dry eye in the place.

    ReplyDelete