Friday, April 26, 2013

What I have Learned


The one hope I have for working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds is that their differences are embraced and are used as a learning tools in the classroom instead of conforming to the dominant culture.  I understand the difficult task of incorporating multiculturalism in the classroom, but losing one’s cultural identity is far more tragic.  Our job is to provide children with learning that is an extension of their home and I hope that every early childhood teacher remembers that critical key when using silence.

I believe the one goal I have for the field of early childhood is to mandate that culture and diversity be an annual training.  Since, I have started my masters I have seen many personal biases and silence prejudice in the classroom.  Often is not that the teacher does not know about cultural differences but that he or she does not know how to embrace their differences from the dominant culture.

In the end, I would like to say thank you to all who have continue to share this journey with me.  I am grateful for all the advice, feedback, and knowledge you have shared with me it has been inspiring and I wish you all the best in your future endeavors and graduation!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michele,
    Your enthusiasm and passion is inspiring! I agree that losing cultural identity is tragic. This was an excellent point. I know that you are creating an environment for your students that is amazing for their development and identity. I also like how you discussed mandating diversity training.
    I wish you the best at Walden and in life!
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete