Monday, December 10, 2012

Welcoming Families from around the World


The country I chose was Italy for my family of origin.  I chose this country because I have always been curious about the lifestyle and the family culture.  The five ways in which I would prepare for my family and be responsive to their needs is the following:

Is doing some basic research on the culture in which I learn the family structure and that Italians are very intense and do a lot of arm touching and want eye contact at all times.  (So when I do speak with them face to face I will understand their demeanor and the hierarchy of the family).  I will have a translator at the initial meeting and all forth coming meetings.

Another way I would prepare is understanding some basic Italian language and finding out where they are from in Italy because there is different dialect depending on where you live in the country. This will be helpful in paperwork also as I prepare it in their native language to make it easier for them comprehend as well as feel more comfortable. 

The third way I would prepare is incorporating books and music in their native language as well as a lending library in which the parents can read to their child in the native language.  I would continue to encourage the native language with the parents and child.

The fourth way is to visit an authentic Italian restaurant and become familiar with the foods and customs of the culture.  Educate myself through experiences and become aware of the differences.

The last way I would prepare myself to be culturally responsive is understanding their religion and celebrations of holidays.  I want to make sure that I am responsive to their customs and use them to educate others in the classroom as well as give the family an opportunity to come in as guest speakers. 

I believe the items or extension of the family’s culture into the classroom will ease the possible tension of the family and make them as well as the child comfortable in the environment.  I want the family to know they are the child’s first educator and that my classroom is an extension of his or her learning from home.  All of these incorporations will help make a solid connection with the family and child and build trust.   After all, trust and a solid foundation are the essence to building a true educational experience, because we all know that early childhood sets the foundation to a positive learning experience for children and their families.   

5 comments:

  1. Hi Michele

    I liked your idea about having a translator along, especially for the initial meeting, as you need to be able to verify that you will be able to communicate effectively. Checking on their comprehension of what the child care centres standards are is important as well.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used the bookpack buddy as a way of using an extended library. You are correct when you say the parents are the first educators and should be empowered as such. I selected Italy as well, this is one place I have yet to visit while living in Europe. The stories that I hear of Italy are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ideas would offer cultural continuity for the child. Children feel supported when the teacher integrates their home languages, and other aspects of their culture.
    Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele

    You have some wonderful ideas. When getting a family from another country there is always anxiety, but if we are well prepared ahead of time it makes for a smooth transition for both the family and early childhood professional as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing the ways in which you would help your new family feel welcomed. It sounds to me like you gave it a lot of thought. I am sure they would appreciate your efforts.

    Josie

    ReplyDelete